Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Dr. Feiz Must Read Summer Book: Big Brother


BIG Brother by Lionel Shriver is a fictional story about a sister trying to rescue a man who is eating himself to death.

I feel that this story told by an acclaimed prize winning author who has sadly experienced the very real death of her own 'big brother' Greg, four years ago at age 55 due to obesity related causes is important. Obesity is a very complicated subject and sometimes it is the literary experience that helps us better understand how a life can be cut short without medical intervention of this easily correctable condition.

With at least 2.8 million adults dying each year as a result of being overweight or obese, this book resonates with me personally in an emotional and impactful way. As a weight loss surgeon I understand how this epidemic of obesity can be stopped as I experience similar real life stories daily.

The reviews are calling it entertaining, gripping and intelligent. I know I am going to read it. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment